The Big Sur

News and events relating to Lord Lodge, horses, industry news etc.
Darwin Scribe

The Big Sur

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Impressive win at Sale today and sheez he was good odds if you watched his previous run when he was making a run on rails and got it seemed onto heels in front, had to check, lost ground but then I thought was coming again at finish. So today's distance plus the good barrier draw had to give it a good each way chance and at $18 for a win it was a lovely return I am sure for the owners and for this little dollar punter. A half brother to El Segundo it is going to win more races I would imagine and as this is only its second preparation maybe town later in not out of the question.

Darwin Scribe

Re: The Big Sur

Post by Darwin Scribe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 am

Interesting about the family relatives. We all know how good El Segundo was and of course his mum Palos Verdes was a very good galloper in her own right. But have a look at El Segundo's brothers....El Catino was a bit of a nut case and seemed to want to run into things and from memory the only jock who could get it to respond was Ivan Culliver who made sure it lead but too much of a problem the horse methinks. Then there was El Stupendo who probably showed more ability than El Catino but developed a most unusual allergy if you can call it that..he got sunburnt as soon as the sun came out so with not a lot of night racing then his days were numbered. The Snake slithered but could not get to the winning post but it was by Umatilla then there was Palos De Lago who won one but methinks could be a good broodmare put to right stallion. That left Redondo Beach by the sort of non descript sire Elnadim. He won a few and almost $150,000 so in his day he probably paid his way. So Palos has done well and love to see them put her to something like So You Think who is going to get a very good horse before long.

Darwin Scribe

Re: The Big Sur...3

Post by Darwin Scribe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:39 am

Almost forgot El Segundo's full brother El Hermano who was unraced but went to stud sired a Listed Race winner in New Zealand a few weeks ago. obviously being unraced he would not attract top class mares but he has gotten a few winners in Enzed.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Very good run today (Sale) behind Geodude. I think they have an opinion of the winner but I would rather have The Big Sur particularly as the further they go the better he will like it. I think lack of a recent run told in run home but to finish second a good second augurs well for the future.

Darwin Scribe

Another good run..this time at 2100

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:20 pm

First real try at some distance and thought considering all things he showed he will get distance certainly 2200m and probably further. Will wait on stewards report but not sure he liked the surface too much and did not have a lot of luck early in straight. Only seemed to settle into work in last 100m. Think he will be a dry track performer and will do his mother (Palos Verde) proud.

Darwin Scribe

Nothing in stewards report

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:44 am

That is about TBS in the race but I note the stewards changed the track state to a soft seven then to a heavy 9 after or before the third. The Big Sur's race appeared to be run in some rain or showers and my knowledge of Palos Verde's stock is that they did not like it when it got worse than dead. I think a bit of inexperience in racing tight and a slight bump on straightening up did not help but then I think he just found going a bit too shifty for his liking until he found firmer footing about 100m out. That was only his seventh race start and like the runner-up Blazers was stepping up in class. Whatever he does for rest of preparation I think he will be a stronger, wiser and better horse next preparation.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

Been keeping any eye on El Hermano's stock in NZ and they are winning races but big jump on Saturday when Underthemoonlight won a G2 over 1200m.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Well firstly of course he is now Big Sur and I could be wrong but I think he will win a big one, one day. Not sure about a Caulfield Cup because that is not an easy track but the way he races the MC is a race I would be setting him for. Has to win a few better than today to qualify but Col knows how to place him and as I thought Flemington was going to suit him to a tee. For those who might have been disappointed at the previous start when fourth have a good look at the race again, particularly the last 100m and that again past post. He finished fourth but 100 past I reckon he was in front because he was so full of running. Will be interested in his sectionals today.Super impressive and great ride by Luke Nolen

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 am

Blessing in disguise. This is the stewards report from his race yesterday. Big Sur (NZ) Hampered at the start by City Of Kirkwall (NZ) which shifted in. Steadied at the 600m to avoid the heels of Mutarakem (GB). A post race veterinary examination revealed the gelding to be lame in the right foreleg. Trainer Colin Little was notified that prior to racing again he must be in receipt of a veterinary certificate of soundness. He seemed to return to scale ok so it has been revealed probably when cooling off. I think he has bigger fish to fry anyway so a good spell now won't harm him at all.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 am

Big run at Pakenham second up over the 1600m. He is not a big horse so to finish so quickly with 60kgs shows he appears to have returned from injury in a good way. at one stage he must have been 11-12 lengths off leaders and even on turn was giving them a handy start so to go down by less than two lengths adds merit to the run. If you saw his winning run at Flemington before he had to go out you would realise he was a very promising stayer in the making.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:00 am

Got the impression the near heavy on Saturday did not suit this bloke. Appeared to be labouring a bit 800 out and whether it was because they began to quicken on the pace or he has flatfooted a bit till he can get some momentum is another thing. Certainly would not dismiss him on this run and I also think he best suited to a long run i.e Flemington where he has won and Pakenham or Sandown.