Wonderful Winx

News and events relating to Lord Lodge, horses, industry news etc.
Darwin Scribe

Re: Wonderful Winx

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 am

I think she has come back better than ever!. To run 1.22.50 in blustery conditions is exceptional but the real pointer to her freakishness is her final sectionals. They came home the last 600 in 33.60 which just happened to be faster than any other race on the day. Including the sprint. When she moved up on the outside of Kementari I reckon Bowman was saying "if you are any good mate then lets do it to the line". She has beaten him well and as Waller has said she breaks horses hearts. But I watched her closely and it is worth watching as she comes up the straight. She almost has what they call a daisy cutter action. She just takes more strides than they do and quickly and add to that that Hughie was easing her down in the last 100-50m I suspect she could have run close to 1.22.20. We are just so fortunate to be a part of the ride and the day they announce her retirement will be very emotional. I just hope no one expects her to churn out superstars at stud. Most top class mares who have raced a fair bit do not...simple as that. And she does not have to prove a thing at stud!

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 pm

And this is why she will not get beaten unless a freak emerges. She has been timed on Saturday to run her last 600 in 32.77.....first up after a spell! But wait there's more. She ran home the last 400 in 21.72!. The only horse I can think of to do this sort of thing was Black Caviar who could run sectionals that clearly showed just how good she was. But if this mare can run these sectionals first up after a spell at a distance not probably her favorite ….look out!

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 am

On respective times for their 1600m yesterday, Winx beats Grunt by about 2 1/2 lengths. So now possibly to the Turnbull and a match against Grunt, Kings Will Dream (good run under circumstances). Think Humidor is not up to her standard anymore despite Caulfield win. Kings Will Dream will be better ridden near lead or in lead at a distance but agree with commentators...he is not a thickset horse at all and looks light on already. Would not want to get a check in running.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 am

Not even going to comment to much on this amazing animal. But these reveal just how freakish she is. She has run her last 600 in 32.21 last 400 in 21.47 and at her peak recorded to be at 70 kilometres per hour. No horse in Australia and I doubt in world can produce those sort of figures and take a close look at last 50m and Bowman has a nice hold of the reins and he never resorted to the whip at all in straight. Do not think Hughie will get trapped on fence in Cox Plate

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:13 am

For me the highlight apart from her winning her fourth Cox Plate was the sea of blue and white in that huge crowd and the singing along with Darryl Braithwaite. It was the crowd's tribute BEFORE she raced of just what they think of her. And just quietly I will back Francesca Cumani's and the trainer of Benbatl's opinion of her rather than that of Chapman who whilst saying what a great day it was and how great she was then says almost that Benbatl isn't really the best opposition she could have faced. It is the old story...when you are proven wrong you look for a crutch. He also seems to forget or does not know that a horse called Phar Lap took on the best atAqua Caliente and won, that Black Caviar despite an injury won in England and that others have too and not forgetting Sailor;s Guide won the Laurels International in the U.S. Finally to stick the boot in...how many Pommy horses have won $23 million!.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 pm

There are some who say she is vulnerable first up because she can miss the jump or any distance less than 1600m is possibly a real test. No one has told Winx that. She strolls around the saddling enclosure like she knows it is race day and wears with that an air of arrogance. Then she gets behind the barriers and is so nonchalant it is like she is almost saying "go for it kids you got no chance against me". Today in the Apollo she went to Happy Clapper in a few strides and then he was under the whip, she was just being sooled along hands and heels and at the line she had run 1.20.88 for the 1400m...half a second outside the track record, first up after a spell!. I have to think as good as Phar Lap was and Tulloch and I know they raced and won over longer distances but she has won 30 straight! She is a freak!

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:25 am

This will tell you how good Happy Clapper is and what it says about Winx. On Saturday the Clapper has probably run closeto 1.33.68 for the 1600m about a second outside the track record and possibly the Australian record for the journey. He has won a Doncaster, Epsom and Villiers and is the only horse to have done so. He has probably run the first 1400m in the region of 1.21-1.22..track record for 1400 at Randwick is 1.21.03. It still means he has run his last 200 in about 12.4-5 as he got a bit tired. So he was really running. The fact that Winx could give such a galloper such a start at the 600 and even on straightening up and still beat him by almost two lengths without being hit with the whip shows her freakish qualities. She has run great time first up in the Apollo and now run just half a second outside the track record second up. Blake Shinn summed her up well...."she is a freak and absolute freak"

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 am

This is why she is the best we have or may possibly ever have seen. On Saturday she ran the fastest last 600 of the day on a heavy 8....34.88. On top of that she has run the 1500m in 1.32.22....lot of good gallopers would have trouble breaking 1.33 on a good track!. I know there are some out there who say (a) she should have gone to Europe and beaten their class gallopers to be called the best and (b) she hasn't beaten much here in Australia. Of course that is total hogwash....for a start how many horses have won 32 straight! Secondly, and most importantly, she is now 7.8 years old...in other words swiftly coming to her eighth year. Most good or great horses have been retired well and truly at this age but she has been so well managed and has such a wonderful constitution that she just loves racing. And how often have you seen Hughie resort to the whip in any big way. I will admit as a young racing journey on Melbourne Truth when Tulloch made his comeback in the Queen's Plate that I had a tear in the eye like others when he won that race. I think many many years later I will have a tear in my eye when Winx runs her last race. We all want her to win but....I will still have that tear because of what I have been privileged to see in my lifetime. She is simply the best.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am

I was lucky enough as a young journalist to see Tulloch win his comeback race and see the same horse become the first to win $100,000 in prizemoney. I think he could have been anything as a four year old but his illness stopped him from having a chance to show it and I still maintain he lost enough of what he previously had when he continued race later on. But Winx has proven she is the best of all time....not just her number of group 1 wins, or her consecutive wins but because I doubt any horse has had the ability to run closing sectionals like she has. Today she ran 34.60 for her last 600 and put that into perspective have a look at what sprinters were running during the day
I think hats off to Chris Waller and his staff...all have done such a wonderful job keeping her in such fine fettle. Has anyone ever seen a seven year old rising eight look so well. Waller will be glad the pressure is off but I reckon he will go and see her in the barn tonight and shed a tear or two.
And finally Hughie Bowman the boy from Dunedoo. Not just a jockey as I have said before but a horseman and there is a difference. Not only is he
a cool customer but he reads a race so well and I am sure Winxie loves having him take her around because he rarely ever has to resort to the whip. He too will feel the pressure off but I think he and his wife will also go to the barn for one last kiss even if Winx did split his lip.
Like Tulloch, like Black Caviar I will cherish what she has done and now I await to see what they say of her overseas.
I do know Her Majesty will be absolutely chuffed Winx won her final race. ...but nowhere near as chuffed as all of us.