Vassilator

News and events relating to Lord Lodge, horses, industry news etc.
Darwin Scribe

Vassilator

Post by Darwin Scribe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Fair dinkum what a price! Let me take you on a journey. If you go to the jump outs at Sandown on February 21 you get a good idea of just how much talent this horse has. http://mrc.racing.com/jumpout-runners#? ... 879&heat=3 That is his heat and he fair dinkum walked out of the barriers or something akin to it and was at least 5-6 lengths behind the second last horse as they went on their way over the 800m. But the horse is a goer and he put head down and took off and had the lead within another 100m and despite some challenges kept finding plenty. That to me showed he was pretty smart and his time of 46.8 was also very good. Then he goes to Ballarat. Is midfield at 900 but jock decides to rev him up and he quickly takes in leaders to be with them on turn but out about 5-6 horses wide and racing greenly. No doubt in my mind if he races straight and negotiates corner properly he gets very close to Hawkshot the winner. Hawkshot goes out today short priced and Vassilator almost 100/1. Know this....Col never takes a maiden to town unless it has shown him something. Good one LL good one Col!

Darwin Scribe

Re: Vassilator

Post by Darwin Scribe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 am

Okay bit more on yesterday. He has probably run about eight lengths off the track record for the distance....at only his third race start! His sectionals reveal too how good he could be. He has run his last 800 in 44.62! His split between the 400-200 was 10.82 and despite running out in the last 200 he has run his last 400 in 22.33! I think a lot of commentators after believed it not only a shock win but perhaps a fluke. Believe me no fluke about it ...any horse that can run those sectionals is a serious racehorse.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Well it looks like I am right and most pundits thought his Flemington win was a fluke or an abberation. He is not favourite for the first at Flemington tomorrow probably based on that assertion and fact that he is up in weight and doubt about how he will handle conditions if track is soft. But I have watched pre race favourite Bronski Beat's win at Bendigo and he had the perfect side on them and perhaps they are going by fact he won by 2 1/2 lengths. Well if Vassilator runs straight not in then out then it he wins by that too and probably runs a bit faster than he did which for a two year old was exceptionally good. I know which of this pair I would have going forward!

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm

This could be a very very good horse. I say this not only because he won well again today but for three reasons (a) I would say 400 out he was going to win he was going that easily and Mertens had a hold on him whereas the others seemed to be under a bit of pressure (b) he won on a soft 5 so now we know he can handle good and soft and (c) his split between the 400 and 200 was 11.28 and that is very very good acceleration on a soft track.
His overall time of 1.23.48 on soft 5 compares more than favourably with his previous run when he went 1.22 something. That was on a good 4 .Good luck to all the owners and the win will certainly give Mertens confidence at well.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 am

Love finding more on good horses and on this bloke I have found more after yesterday. The only other run at the distance was an Open handicap won by Moss 'n'Dale who carried if Martin claimed his full 3kgs only 52. That horse went into the race second up and he was unbeaten and still is two runs back from a spell. He has won. He has won 8 of his 11 races at 1300m to 1421m and won $475,000. His time on a good 4 (upgraded from a soft 5) was about 2 1/2 lengths faster than Vassilator. Moss 'n'Dale has had about 30 race starts, Vassilator was having only his fourth start. The big test for Vasslator will come when has to get around Caulfield and accelerate but both wins have been with Mertens making sure he had clean air down the outside on unleash and you cannot do that if you are stuck on the fence or in a bunch with your momentum held up.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 am

Could he be a WFA horse later? Again going back over LL horses last campaigns before a spell I note that when he won at Flemington in April he won in 1.22.37 but raced greenly in straight ducking out before coming back in. No doubt had he run straight he wins by more and perhaps runs at least a length faster....or point 20. Iconoclasm later in day and clearly regarded as an up and comping performer among the Weir stable went 1.22.41. Remember this was Vassilator's third start only. It was Iconoclasm's fifth start and he won his next two also in town.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Third in a trial at Cranbourne yesterday over Was 5.75 lengths from winner at finish but was always up handy and then not knocked around at all in run home. Got impression Merten was getting him to go a bit early so he could get a good blow out. Winner Master Rock could be pretty smart..yet to race and same for second horse King Manuka. Winner went 48.25 on a soft track and that is good time only let down in last 200m.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:29 am

Bit hard to say how Brutal and those will shape up as genuine 16oom horses and thus Caulfield Guineas chances....and of course how that affects Vassilator's chances. Brutal looks a class act in the flesh walking around the parade ring and that was a good win on Saturday because he had to get into his work late and he responded like a good horse. Tavisan was good and Leonardi Da Hinch and Marcel from Madrid did okay. But I think we can get some sort of idea with the good run of Ocean Knight who was finishing well for fifth. He was beaten about 2.5 lengths and I noticed 100m past post he was probably still going very strongly. Now he was beaten 2.7 lengths by Vassilator at Flemington. Still a lot to be determined in next few weeks.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 am

Nice pipe opener for the Spring yesterday. Seemed to amble out of barrier and a clear last on jumping then taken over to fence. Was never going to threaten after that start and being closed in trying to look for runs but in one report what jockeys said after, Mertens said he was only warming up in last 100m. Clearly 1200 and a fast run one at that is not his caper but he still broke 1.11 himself and was second fastest over last 800m. Once he can be ridden on outside and steam home out wide you will see a different horse.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:57 am

Don't lose faith. Here is how I saw his run in the Danehill. Mertens got him in a good spot but at the 300 he was crowded between runners (as per stewards report) and you can see he is not a happy chappy. Whether or not he got on wrong foot he seemed to go then pause then go again and I do think not being unable to unwind when he wanted to do outside cost him a place. However remember his first two runs up last time in were in country and he was unplaced both in maidens! He is a totally different horse now and when they get out in distance and he can be ridden way Mertens wants he will show his real form. Quite frankly at this stage the Guineas is a very open race.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:37 pm

As always I like to follow up after an initial comment on a run. Consider this On Feb 28 of this year the horse had its first start and finished out of a place over 1000 metres beaten six lengths...then it went to 1200m and beaten again six lengths. Then it goes from a maiden unplaced both races to a Listed race over 1400m and wins! and wins same distance next start. Pretty dramatic improvement and both runs this time in over 1200m but beaten 6.6 lengths at Caulfield then only less than 3 yesterday at Flemington in a G2...bit of a step up from a maiden second up last start last preparation. I also had as usual a look at how they were finishing past the post yesterday and he was wanting to make ground fairly solidly.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 am

Forget last two runs. He is one of those horses who resents being near the fence and between runners. There have been others like him who improve out of sight when they can be ridden one or two out and allowed "breathing space". Also not sure he is exactly same horse at Caulfield which can be a tricky track for a lot of horses. I know these are excuses but he is still a very good horse.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:42 pm

You ripper. Great odds and so pleased for Col, the connections and thought Merten rode it an absolute treat. The horse showed is needs to be away from fence in running. I loved the way it gradually made ground until it really got a spurt nearing turn. Tried to go with the winner but entitled after the run to find it tough but loved way it kept going for second. Some good horses behind it but the winner is something very special. I think Col now will think more of the Autumn rather than rest of Spring for Vassilator who I think is a better horse too at Flemington and likes sting out of ground. Well done to all!~

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 am

Draw three any time and you are laughing but not with this bloke. He needs to be drawn wider so he can sit one or even two out. Does not like the fence at all because if he over races he can almost get on heels so today I think Mertens must either jump with them but not attempt to get to rails or amble out and then stay wide but perhaps end up giving up a start to some of the other fancied rivals. This will be his last run I am sure before a nice break and then the Autumn but all going well he should run a mighty race. Forget that some of the others were gaining ground at Caulfield on him. A close took at the last 400 showed Oohood was really the only one truly making ground. The rest their runs ended about 100 out. Good luck to connections today.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Well no surprise...just not suited at the start in a barrier near the rails. Then over-raced fiercely at times and on top of that had no where to go until too late in straight. Forget it went around and wait for the autumn.