Vassilator

News and events relating to Lord Lodge, horses, industry news etc.
Darwin Scribe

Re: Vassilator

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 am

This is the stewards report on Vassilator yesterday. Not a thing about over racing!~ I must be blind but see for yourself on Racing.Com in a replay of race.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:15 pm

We have some good news and some bad news. Firstly the bad news....he finished last yesterday when resuming and one would hope that is not an ominous note for the future. The good news is I doubt it. Firstly he has never done anything first up, nor at 1200m. Secondly he had the blinkers off to see if he would race more tractably and after a bout in the dressage ring before resuming. Well he seemed to do all Mark Zahra wanted him to do and because of barrier one was more of less obliged to race on the fence which is where previously he would reef and pull and throw his head around.
Thirdly he has run the 1200 according to Racing.Com sectionals in 1.9.91. Considering it was his first run back that is good time and whilst some of the others were resuming too one has to wonder how much the run took out of them considering they were asked to go faster than Vassilator. Remember this horse won two in a row in good time at Flemington and in his last run there did everything wrong and was sent for a spell. So to me at present the good outweighs the bad. Lets wait and see.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Did not expect anything but an unplaced run considering never done a thing second up. However looks on track for Guineas because he has been beaten less than five lengths which means he has run the 1400 in just under 1.23. The pleasing thing to me is that He was going to be beaten by more but seemed to want to come again in the last 50-100m.Remember on Guineas day this horse was had at three figure odds and run second in Caulfield Guineas as really big odds. And he will be big odds again in the Guineas.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 am

Well he is back at last and should be noted he has been gelded since last run. That should settle his racing temperament down a bit. He ran in a trial at Cranbourne recently against some slick sprinters and was a closing third beaten less than a length. He still had his winter coat on partly clipped and look obviously a bit big so it was a very good trial. However tomorrow at Caulfield about the only thing going for him is possibility of a soft or heavy track. He has never been placed first or second up. Will be interesting to see how he goes

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Well nothing strange about him being unplaced first up behind Begoodtoyamother at Caulfield yesterday. Began fairly but he wanted to go as he does fresh and when Nugent took him over near rails he over raced again as he can do when near fence. I think he might be claustrophobic because his best runs have all been when ridden one or two out and allowed to finish down outside. Now the stewards not he over raced but that was all they mentioned about him in their report. Frankly watching the horse in the straight both side on and the stewards vision he was trying to make a run on the inside but then a horse on outside shifted over almost onto him and Nugent couldn't use the whip and the horse seemed held up for a few strides. At least he did not drop right out and from a campaign point of view it was a solid effort. His coat will come on as Spring emerges and he will lose excess weight. Not much good either second up but we shall see after that.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 am

Loved the run on Saturday at Caulfield and thought the horse responded very well to Jamie Kah. I think sometimes it is worth trying to female rider of substance to see if they can stop a horse with traits. If Vassilator over raced Saturday it wasn't for long. The thing is this bloke really in the past has shown he can get into all sorts of trouble from an inside draw but this time Kah had him nicely positioned on the fence. If she gets a run earlier in the straight I think the horse might have placed but head on vision shows a wall in front of them and by the time he got a look the momentum was with the others. I would have to say that is his best ever second up run and methinks he might be in for a good campaign.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 am

Gee I love the way this bloke is going. Never any good first or second up but third up at Flemington on Saturday he hit the line strongly for fourth and gives impression he is a different horse since being gelded. Does not seem upset racing near or on fence and I get impression when he gets to mile or longer we will see him at his best. And one last thing...he certainly seems to appreciate Jamie Kah in the saddle.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Good honest race at Caulfield and liked it for three reasons. First time past 1600m and he has finished on over the 1700 at though he will get 1800 -2000m. Secondly his record at Caulfield despite his second in the Caulfield Guineas is not exactly great...I think he is more a Flemington horse on past form who might handle Sandown or MV..stressing might. Thirdly looking at him at the parade ring before race he still has not got into his serious summer coat and he is a big boy around the barrell and probably now he is a gelding is eating pardonthe pun like a horse. There is a race for him over Spring.

Darwin Scribe

Post by Darwin Scribe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Seemed to me he propped coming out of barrier and that was end of penny section. Plus as I have said he just does not go as well at Caulfield as he does say Flemington.