Vale Geoff Lane

News and events relating to Lord Lodge, horses, industry news etc.
Darwin Scribe

Vale Geoff Lane

Post by Darwin Scribe » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 am

The Australian turf lost a genuine icon yesterday with the passing of a true gentleman....Geoff Lane. Unquestionably in my long association with the industry, Geoff rates in the top 2-3 apprentices of my time and later was a very good senior rider. I knew him personally from his visits to Darwin for the Darwin Cup carnival. I never heard him bad mouth anyone but I did hear him praise more than a few. If I were to sum his riding ability up it would be that there were few again in my time in fact maybe none who could ride a headier race in front. The late Tommy Woodcock to whom Geoff was apprenticed always said the best horse he had in his stable was Geoff Lane. You always hear about George Moore, Roy Higgins and a few others but it is like Lane is down rungs from them...well not by me. I think he is the model all apprentices should aspire to be....and if I am right that is something else because I believe when he first went into a stable he never knew how to ride! I also know that when he was riding in my time as a cadet racing journalist, track clockers would say Lane could get off a horse in work and tell you what it had run almost to a tenth of a second! I just hope he is commemorated now in a way that will make people who never saw him ride remember his name and deeds as a jockey and as a man.